Tips for Staying Safe this Holiday Season
The winter holiday season is traditionally a festive and eventful time of year. Celebrations, family gatherings and house guests can increase in number during the season. However, statistics show that the incidents of home fires and electrical accidents also typically increase during this time of year.
Pretty lights, candles and decorations are just a few of the items bringing charm and cheer to the holiday season. However, if they are not used carefully, your holidays may go from festive to frightening. The American Red Cross offers the following safety tips to help greatly reduce the fire risk in your home or business this holiday season:
- Place Christmas trees, candles and other holiday decorations at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators, heat vents and candles.
- Make sure that light strings and other holiday decorations are in good condition. Do not use anything with frayed electrical cords and always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- Always unplug tree and holiday lights before leaving the property or going to bed.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a tree. Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
- Use only sturdy tree stands designed not to tip over. Keep curious pets and children away from Christmas trees.
- Keep anything that can catch on fire--pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, and towels or curtains-away from your stove top.
- After a party, designate one person to walk around your property to ensure all candles and smoking materials are properly extinguished after guests leave.
Encourage family, friends, colleagues and neighbors to follow these simple safety tips. We want everyone to be safe and happy during this magical time of year. Contact Us
If fire or water damage strikes your home or business during the holidays, give us a call. We are on call 24 hours a day, 356 days a year. SERVPRO Professionals have been helping keep homes merry and bright for more than 45 years.Contact SERVPRO of Lincoln at (402)466-4004